The Bird Conservation Committee is charged to:
- Keep the Association informed of developments affecting bird conservation.
- Promote policies necessary to ensure the long-term conservation of bird populations and their habitats, sustainable hunting and the public’s ability to enjoy birds.
- Maintain coordination with federal agency and NGO partners and partners throughout the western hemisphere.
- Work closely with the flyway councils and the North American Bird Conservation Initiative.
- Contribute to the activities and involvement of the International Relations Committee and other groups regarding international issues that affect birds.
Notes & Agendas
The Bird Conservation Committee meets twice at each AFWA Annual Meeting and North American Wildlife & Natural Resources Conference. Bird Conservation Committee I meetings primarily focus on federal and partnership reports, as well as reports and discussions of current bird conservation topiocs. Bird Conservation Committee II meetings include reports from each of the Committee's Working Groups.
March 2019 North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference
Bird Conservation Committee I Notes- 6 March 2019
Bird Conservation Committee II Notes- 8 March 2019
September 2018 Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies Annual Meeting
Bird Conservation Committee I Notes- 10 September 2018
Bird Conservation Committee II Notes- 12 September 2018
March 2018 North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference
Bird Conservation Committee I Notes- 28 March 2018
Bird Conservation Committee II Notes- 30 March 2018
Committee Contact Information
AFWA Staff Contact
Dr. Judith Scarl
Gordon Myers, North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission
Tony Wilkinson, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation